Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Maybe it's just me...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Maybe it's just me... Empty
PostSubject: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 10:36 am

but I sure wish a trend of "anti-prog" would arise. What I mean is, I'd love to hear new bands come out and not sound, well, new.
I'd love to hear some new bands curve more towards the early rock/metal sound that was full of talent and not anger/yelling. I'd love to hear a new band sound like Van Halen's first 3 albums... you know, not aggresive but talented guitar solos, stylish singing (not angry screaming), clever songs, yet still rock/metal.
The early sounds of Ted Nugent, Triumph, Zebra, even Zepplin... I don't miss these bands (or their lyrics), but I miss the sound. It's been swallowed up by a generation of rock aggression without guitar solos.

Gosh, maybe I'm just getting old affraid
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3869
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Or you're not looking very hard. Wouldn't something like Letter 7 fit what you're talking about?

I too am so sick of all the yelling/screaming/growling in the music today.

I don't think anti-prog is the right term though. I like prog music and very little has the vox you describe.

Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 2:35 pm

No it's not just you, I am right there with you bro. As topshot suggested there are some groups out there like that, but they are few, and way too far between.

And what ever happened to bands that had singers. Nobody seems to sing anymore, they shout, yell, scream, growl, garggle, mumble, or whine. None of that is singing.

Quote :
The early sounds of Ted Nugent, Triumph, Zebra, even Zepplin...

yup also Aerosmith, Styx, Whitesnake, old Def Leppard, the Scorpions, Giant....
Seems like there aren't many new Christian artists doing anything like this today.

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 8:20 pm

I'm with ya. I have been getting away from prog more and more because of this very reason. I'd like to hear more bands play in the groove, rather than try to stuff as many notes as possible into every measure.

A slow, heavy song is much better that a fast and frantic one, IMO. You just get tired from listening to that stuff too much.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 12:37 am

Quote :
And what ever happened to bands that had singers. Nobody seems to sing anymore, they shout, yell, scream, growl, garggle, mumble, or whine. None of that is singing

Exactly my point ! I don't wanna come down hard on today's bands, cuz they have their place today and especially in ministry. Kids today want that stuff... and don't get me wrong, I have lotsa albums that "shout, yell, scream, growl, garggle, mumble, or whine"... but I think there'd be a large audience among Christian 30 and 40 somethings (as well as non-believers of that generation who would actually listen to and maybe get some seeds planted) that would enjoy some Christian rock that sounded like Whitesnake's "In the still of the night"

Quote :
Wouldn't something like Letter 7 fit what you're talking about?
I haven't heard them yet, but I am taking any recommends that I can get that sound like old Van Halen rock.
I think X-sinner kinda got that Def Lepard feel on Angry Einsteins, I dig that album.

Quote :
I don't think anti-prog is the right term though
You're right... I didn't really think when I was typing that, I meant like "music that's progressing today" is just getting more and more dark and angry, unlike the feel-good sounds of the late 70s, early 80s. As far as the actual title "prog" is concerned, I like most of prog-metal.

Quote :
yup also Aerosmith, Styx, Whitesnake, old Def Leppard, the Scorpions, Giant....Seems like there aren't many new Christian artists doing anything like this today
So true. Those old bands wrote, or had writers that created melody, structure, style, emotion (not anger), and could shred a guitar solo in the middle of a song that made you want to rewind your cassette ! Where are the guitar solos today ?
It's interesting that there's a trend of kids listening to ACDC, Zepplin, Lepard and others. They recognize that today's music is missing something and it's also depressing in large doses.

Quote :
...rather than try to stuff as many notes as possible into every measure. A slow, heavy song is much better that a fast and frantic one
I couldn't have said it better... that's what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 1:18 am

I agree there are older Christian bands that have the sound I'm talkin about... like Whiteheart (ie powerhouse - killer solos, and even the metal ballad Desert Rose), or some Crossection (in the vein of Night Ranger... once again, simple arrangements yet killer guitar, and yes a power-ballad), and many others....early whitecross, Barren Cross, Bloodgood, Mastedon.. etc

but, I'm talking about todays artists.
If a band wants to stand out in a cookie-cutter industry of aggressive music, then they should sit down with some old albums and do some homework. They should study the art of music writing from bands like I mentioned above, as well as (lyrics aside) The Scorpions, VH, Ratt, Bon Jovi

I think people would take note (esp my generation) if some new bands popped up and could lay it down like the long-haired rockers of yesterday !
Back to top Go down
rageofcr

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 3:25 am

This is one of my complaints about Christian music. There just isn't much there to choose from. I could literally list about 100 bands that are secular that would fit the bill perfectly and are all fairly new bands. There is so much new stuff in the secular scene. I know it's not right to make secular recommendations here so I won't, but I will mention that most the ones I listen to are very clean compared to the stuff from the 70's and 80's. Musicians have slowly learned that rock and metal lyrics can be about so much more than sex and drugs. There really are some incredible songwriters out there today writing some very classic yet original sounding material. too bad it never gets played on the radio.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 7:10 am

See, that's the thing. There are tons of bands in the style Apologetixfreak wants in the secular market--but the labels, radio, & video stations aren't pushing this. The metal scene is the new "alternative". It exists and might even be flourishing. But, it isn't the big seller it once was.

So, in the Christian market, which is mostly owned by the larger labels from the secular market, are only releasing bands that are in the same vein as what is selling in the secular venues. Shoot, many Christian bands are selling well in the secular market! You can turn on our local rock station 102.9 The Buzz and hear Switchfoot, P.O.D., Skillet, The Fray, Krystal Myers, and Flyleaf.

So, the Christian market tends to follow trends. But, there are metal bands still doing their thing. But, since the Christian scene is smaller, there are fewer bands still making this style of music. So, when something does come out, we all flock to it like flies on a dead body.

And, in defense of the modern scene, I've always been a somewhat depressed person who covers it with a lot of humor. So, while today's music is darker emotionally and depressing to some, I find it comforting. Maybe that's why I like it so much. Shoot, as I'm typing this I am listening to the new Jonah33!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 11:00 am

Quote :
but I will mention that most the ones I listen to are very clean compared to the stuff from the 70's and 80's
Hey Rage, PM me a list of who you're talkin about when you get a chance... I'm just curious.

Quote :
I've always been a somewhat depressed person who covers it with a lot of humor. So, while today's music is darker emotionally and depressing to some, I find it comforting
Umm, me too, however, I'm just the opposite. If my diet consists of too much "darker" stuff, I begin to sink. I'll find myself popping in some Praise Band or any of the older Christian metal that used to be happy.... and in no time I'm uplifted.

I just wish there were more bands pumpin out uplifting classic rock/metal today.
Maybe we could all write to the industries and beg them ?
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 12:26 pm

Hey I found a band that resembles a mix of Journey, Survivor, and maybe some early pop metal acts:

Slav Simanic has heavy rock, AOR, and some melodic tunes that take me to the early days of metal/rock -and maybe even some Yngwie riffs.

Michael's right when he said
Quote :
Or you're not looking very hard

I also have a Letter 7 on its way.... hope it delivers
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 12:59 pm

Slav's CD was great! I just wish he'd do something new. It has been years since his last release.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 2:44 pm

apologetixfreak wrote:
Hey I found a band that resembles a mix of Journey, Survivor, and maybe some early pop metal acts:

Slav Simanic has heavy rock, AOR, and some melodic tunes that take me to the early days of metal/rock -and maybe even some Yngwie riffs.

I don't think I have ever heard of him/them. Where did you find the sound samples?

Here is another indie artist you might wanna check out.
James Guest has that kind of 80's AOR sound on quite a few of his songs (at least for his Klenzd album). Check out his link at CDBaby.
http://cdbaby.com/cd/guestjames

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 4:33 pm

Quote :
Slav Simanic

I have heard full-length songs of his, but when I search for hip cd, couldn't find it. I did like what I heard.

Quote :
James Guest

I also have a download of his "Set Me Free" off of that lp. He is GREAT.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 5:50 pm

Quote :
James Guest has that kind of 80's AOR sound on quite a few of his songs

GREAT recommend !!! I love it !! Thanx !!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 11:05 pm

apologetixfreak wrote:
Quote :
James Guest has that kind of 80's AOR sound on quite a few of his songs

GREAT recommend !!! I love it !! Thanx !!

He is a really great guy too. I actually first heard him on Trirock, so I bought his album a few weeks later. Strangely enough the song I heard on TriRock was not on his album (song is called "Must Be the One"). So I e-mailed him and asked him about the "mystery song" He said it was part of some unreleased material he was still working on. He asked me for my address, and send me a cdr of with 3 of the songs he is/was working on for another album.

I have found that most Christian artist are usually very good to their fans.

--

PostSubject: Re: Maybe it's just me...   Maybe it's just me... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maybe it's just me...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: