Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Todd

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project! Empty
PostSubject: Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project!   Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi there! My name is Todd, and I am a graduate student at Loyola University in Chicago. I am studying the sociology of religion and am beginning a project studying the Christian metal subculture. For this project I will be doing three things:

1) analyzing lyrics, news, blogs, and message boards about both Christian metal and secular metal to compare them,
2) undertaking a history of Christian metal to place it in context, and
3) interviewing Christian metal fans and bands.

I would love the opportunity to interview any fans of Christian metal or participants in the scene. I would also be very grateful to anyone who could point me in the direction of Christian metal bands in Chicago. I only know of a handful.

Feel free to post here or send me a private message if you are interested.

Thanks very much, and I hope to hear from you all!

Last edited by Todd on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3868
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project!   Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:13 am

I could likely help you out with some bands or an interview. I'd like to know what your definition of a "Christian metal band" is though as that will eliminate a lot of confusion.

Todd

PostSubject: Re: Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project!   Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 2:35 pm

That's a good question.

In my definition, a Christian metal band would be the following:

1) A band who self identifies as Christian, and reflects their beliefs in their lyrics.
2) A band who participates in the Christian music scene (in other words, plays with other Christian bands, appears in Christian websites and magazines, etc.)
3) Plays music which falls into a traditional sub-genre of metal (i.e. power metal, doom metal, death metal, black metal, thrash metal, etc.)
and 4) Self-identifies as a metal band.

The most important thing, I would argue, is that the band or fan identifies personally with the "Christian metal" community, if that makes sense.

This research will have two phases- right now I am conducting interviews in Chicago as pilot research for a class I am in. After that, I will expand the research to include the whole U.S. as I spin this into a Ph.D. dissertation project.

Feel free to PM me or e-mail me if you would like to talk to me.

Have a good weekend!
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2550
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project!   Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 11:05 am

Interesting project but how many other forums are you getting info from,or is this the only one? I would suggest a couple of other sites...

http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com/

http://forums.firestream.net/
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project!   Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:05 pm

He's already posted in the CMR

PostSubject: Re: Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project!   Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Generally, I'm focusing on Christian Metal, but I'm interested in looking at different sub-genres. A couple people have PM'ed me (is that how you would spell that?) and I'll be keeping in contact with them. Anyone else who is interested in participating can feel free to contact me.

I'll be working on this project for a long time, so I'll probably be hitting this board up once or twice a week for a while.

Thanks again, everyone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project!   Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Attn: Christian Metalheads- I need your help with a project!
Page 1 of 1