Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What is a song?

Go down 
+3
topshot rhit
rockerVu2
nazpastor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 9:39 am

As the title said, just what makes something be considered a song? Is it the lyrics? Is it the combination of musical notes? Is it the combination? Exactly what makes something a song?
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 9:41 am

It's the combination of the lyrics and the music.
Now I wonder is an instrumental song a song?
A song without music doesn't sound good. (at least for me)
Sometimes a song without lyrics can be good.
For me the best combination is one with lyrics and music.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 11:49 am

A song is music and lyrics. Perhaps it's just me and my ignorance, but I think just music is referred to as a piece normally (at least in classical music).

Bsax

Bsax

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-06-25

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 4:36 pm

Hmm good question! See I have always called instrumental pieces, tunes and pieces with lyrics songs...but I'm pretty sure in the actually definition of a song there doesn't *have* to be lyrics
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:08 pm

If a "song" is defined by music with lyrics, would a classical piece played while someone recited a poem be considered a "song"?

If that would constitute a "song", then if a different poem was recited to the same piece of music be a different "song"?

If two different poems recited to the same piece of music are two "songs", then that would insinuate that the music is not the determining factor in a "song". However, if you considered it one "song" with different lyrics, well, that would mean that lyrics are not the determining factor in a "song".
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 9:12 pm

Kwestion hurt brain....
Tough one Naz.
My opinion would be a song doesn't necessarily need lyrics but it does need structure (beginning-middle-end) much like a story. Music without structure doesn't seem to have enough self identity to be classified as an individual song IMO. Kind of like words written on paper without a uniting theme.

nazpastor

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 11:49 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Kwestion hurt brain....
Tough one Naz.
My opinion would be a song doesn't necessarily need lyrics but it does need structure (beginning-middle-end) much like a story. Music without structure doesn't seem to have enough self identity to be classified as an individual song IMO. Kind of like words written on paper without a uniting theme.

Soooo, improvisational jazz by that definition could not have any "songs" because there is no real unifying lyrics, or even a reproducible sound. "Scatting" would not be a viable lyrical approach?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 3:31 am

nazpastor wrote:

Soooo, improvisational jazz by that definition could not have any "songs" because there is no real unifying lyrics, or even a reproducible sound. "Scatting" would not be a viable lyrical approach?

Well to me improv jazz doesn't really sound like music. So I guess that works for me.
Tongue
But seriously, we are talking about something that is rather subjective.
So I think it is going to be very difficult to anchor down a solid definition.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:06 pm

To me, a song would constitute a piece of music with singing. With instrumental music, a lot of artists/composers refer to their music as either "pieces" or "movements". When you add a recognizable vocal melody, you move beyond a musical composition to having a song.

But, that's just my 2 cents worth.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:32 pm

What about songs like Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll part 2".
No lyrics, but you mean to tell me it isn't a song? Just a peice? (I think thousands of hockey fans might disagree)

Click the link
Rock & Roll Part 2

(this does not mean I endorse Gary Glitter or his music by any means)

nazpastor

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:24 am

OK, then lets take another step. If lyrics are neccassary for something to be a "song", why are birds called "songbirds" when they make their "music"?
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:33 am

God has created human being with a voice, meant to praise and worship God.
To communicate with each other and to sing.
God created the birds so that they can "sing" without words.
It was against His will.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 11:09 am

song (sông, sng)
n.
1. Music
a. A brief composition written or adapted for singing.
b. The act or art of singing: broke into song.
2. A distinctive or characteristic sound made by an animal, such as a bird or an insect.
a. Poetry; verse.
b. A lyric poem or ballad.
Idiom:
for a song Informal
At a low price: "bought the antique tray for a song."

We all define "song" in a personal sense.
Songs are an emotional expression of our inner self placed to (our definition of) harmony.
Our lives can be considered a "song" to our Creator (whether beautiful, or bad enuf to cause Him to turn off the song) - the angels as well as humans were created with music in them... the whole reason is to praise & worship God for all eternity.... with new songs, however expressed.

Interesting that God is even referred to in a praise song as "You are beautiful my sweet sweet song"... what's that mean ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is a song? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a song?   What is a song? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is a song?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: