Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Magdalen or Magdallen

Go down 
+4
alldatndensum
Stryped Forever
Follower of Jesus
rockerVu2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16551
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Magdalen or Magdallen Empty
PostSubject: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 8:52 am

Magdallen is the band of Lenny Cordola.
Lenny Cordola hever hide his roots into the secular music.
Through his influences in the secular music it wasn't very difficult for him to ask some "great people" to play with him.
House Of Lords drummer Ken Mary, vocalist of House Of Lords James Christian and Vanilla Fudge frontman Mark Stein played on the first album of Magdalen "Big Bang".
"Big Bang"is characterize by the AOR sound of House Of Lords.
Ken Tamplin decided that one album with Magdalen was enough and started a solo career.
I am glad he decided that. Laughing
After Ken Tamplin left the band the name Magdalen.

Lenny Cordola added Philip Bardowel and bassist Chuck Wright to Magdalen.
Magdalen provided large preformances, that wasn't so hard to do with a band with top musicians and all were christian.

I often think after Ken Tamplin left the band the sound of Magdalen wasn't so polished as when Ken was in the band.

Discography.

Big Band (1992)
Revolution Mind (1993)
The Dirt (1994)
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 10:49 am

I couldn't care less for Cordola's music. Magdallan's Big Bang was a great album with Ken Tamplin, and I'm convinced Tamplin is the one who made it accessible for me. Nothing else by Cordola has ever interested me like that Magdallan Big Bang album.
Back to top Go down
Stryped Forever

Stryped Forever

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 12:26 pm

same here never got into any of his projects... just not cup-o-tea.
btw where is he now?
Back to top Go down
http://www.StrypedForever.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23436
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 1:09 pm

On old Full House reruns?

I liked some of Lanny's stuff. Before I got into Christian music, I had a couple of House of Lords tapes. I loved Magdallen because it brought an awesome guitarist (Cordola) and an awesome singer (Tamplin) together to mix together many influences for a rockin' release. Too bad that there are so many guitar and vocal parts that a live performance, according to an old interview in Heaven's Metal, would be next to impossible. So much for touring and promoting that CD.

I like the 2nd disc a lot. Not as much as the debut. Although he did mix in a lot of jazz, I liked the 2nd Lanny Cordola solo disc. There were about 4 songs on it that actually had singing. I'm not usually a fan of instrumentals, but that disc was awesome. Lanny did so many styles and actually made it feel like a solid project.

I don't know where Cordola is now. Maybe he and Greg Chaisson are hiding out in a retirement home for burned out rockers?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 3:44 pm

Quote :
I don't know where Cordola is now. Maybe he and Greg Chaisson are hiding out in a retirement home for burned out rockers?

LOL there they drive the nurses completely nuts to practice daily while it's nap time.
Sometimes bands break up and you never hear anything from the band members.
I wondered what Ken Tamplin is doing now.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23436
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 3:50 pm

On his website, he is working on a CD of classic rock cover tunes.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 4:13 pm

I really liked his work with House of Lords (back in my secular music days).
The first Magdallen album with Ken was fantastic. The other two albums where more hit and miss with me. I remember a few decent songs from both of them.

Lanny also did an album with the band name "Chaos is the Poetry" in 1996 that actually sounds quite a bit like the latter two Magdalen discs. I think you can find it rather cheaply.

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 10:54 pm

I had "big Bang" mostly because of Ken Tamplin as I was a huge Shout fan. Honestly, did not like the album at all. Got rid of it shortly after buying it. I think i was expecting something along the lines of Shout but if I remember right it was nothing like Shout.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 8:44 pm

The vocals, for obvious reasons, were very much like Shout. But the whole vibe was different. Shout was a straight-ahead melodic hair metal band. That Magdallan album had a lot of different sounds on it from a few straight-ahead rock tunes to funk to acoustic rock, etc. I loved it, but if you bought it expecting Shout, I could see how you'd be disappointed. It had to grow on me back in the day. I hated it at first.
Back to top Go down
Disposable HERO

Disposable HERO

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 2:22 am

Cordola was part of the blues project Shades Of Blue in 1994, and I think he was part of the Shack Of Peasants blues projects of 1993 as well, but I'm not positive about those two. I don't think I own them any more so I can't double check them.

In addition to Electric Warrior / Acoustic Saint and Of Riffs And Symphonies Cordola had the album Salvation Medicine Show in 1998, on KMG Records. After that I'm not sure of what he's done.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 7:57 am

I think I like Ken's solo stuff on "Tamplin" more.
Listened again to "Big Bang" yesterday and to be honest I didn't like the first song.
Maybe I have to be strong and listen to the other songs too before I tell that I don't like Magdalen.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2550
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 1:14 am

avdb11 wrote:

Ken Tamplin decided that one album with Magdalen was enough and started a solo career.
I am glad he decided that. Laughing
After Ken Tamplin left the band the name Magdalen.

Big Band (1992)
Revolution Mind (1993)
The Dirt (1994)

Actually he already had a solo carreer started before Big Bang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Tamplin#Discography

Quote :
Albums

• 1990 - An Axe To Grind
  • 1991 - Soul Survivor

I had only heard the first album from Magdallan(Big Bang) so I can't say much about the others. BB was ok at times but it had a little too much of a big band/funk/rock type of sound for me.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Hardkore wrote:

I had only heard the first album from Magdallan(Big Bang) so I can't say much about the others. BB was ok at times but it had a little too much of a big band/funk/rock type of sound for me.

Then you should probably avoid the follow-up albums. The funk & world music influences are even more pronounced, and many of the hooks seem missing.

Disposable HERO

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Almost forgot... Symbiotica, 1997, on Graceland Records. Project featured Lanny Cordola, Gary Thomas Griffin and Chuck Wright. I haven't listened to it, so I don't know the style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magdalen or Magdallen   Magdalen or Magdallen I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magdalen or Magdallen
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: